Friday, March 10, 2006

J-Pilot on the Nokia770?

Remark: This is NOT a How-To description ... so far ;-)



Also check the recent post here





Recently, I found on ApplicationCatalogWishlist an entry about J-Pilot and as I liked Palm as a PIM, I thought this would indeed be nice on the Nokia 770.

Have a look at this:


This screenshot was the result of a few hours experimenting with the JPilot sources in the
sandbox/Maemo development environment on my debian machine.
I had to comment out some stuff from the configure file and change a few lines of the sourcecode elsewhere. As JPilot is GTK-based, it was not a big deal, as expected. I had to reduce the font
sizes, but it seems okay.
Probably, it would even sync, but I had no time for the /dev/pilot setup and stuff.

Unfortunately, the gtk_calendar component (the blue thing on the left side) is to huge.
Here is another shot:


And on the real Nokia 770...

Well, this one was really disappointing first.
Then, I figured out, that the root cause is the themeing of the N770, which uses large fonts.
A workaround would be to use the color schemes, for example ~/.jpilot/jpilotrc.default and
provide there some reasonable settings for _all_ GUI elements. Unfortunately, I don't have more time right now. Here is what I accomplished so far:


And this one:

It uses already a lot of lines like this one so far:
class "GtkButton" style "standard-default"
widget_class "*.GtkButton.GtkLabel" style "buttonFont"

But probably will need much more, especially to get the calendar view nicer.

On the other hand, the Winzig PIM looks very promising to me. Especially, one does not need a separate development environment. With X-Server, sshd, scp, xterm and joe, the N770 is a self contained Python development environment. Easy to tune the code.

Michael
PS: Anyway, if I have a little more time, I will describe the necessary modifications to the source code in more detail. For now, here are two archives to test the stuff:
Feel free to edit the file /home/user/.jpilot/jpilotrc.mini (similar to gtkrc).

PPS: Maybe someone else will like this "appetizer" who has the time to really port jPilot to Maemo. Hey, maybe the 770 could be synced against PalmDesktop one day ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home